August 23, 2011
Around 2 pm this afternoon 5.8 earthquake hit Virginia and we felt it all the way up the east coast. Living in New Jersey most of my life, I never felt an earthquake like this. Buildings were evacuated and airports closed. It was crazy.
I am an earthquake virgin!
I just got back from the doctor’s office around 2 pm wielding my antibiotic and anxious to eat some lunch so I could take it. I’ve had a massive sinus headache for 4 days. It’s better today but yesterday I wanted to jump off a very high building.
All of a sudden I heard clanging and the couch started moving back and forth underneath me. I got off the couch exclaiming, “What the fuck was that?”, then sat back down but it was still moving. The whole house was moving! The chandeliers swaying, the dishes in the curio rattling and my cats looking startled didn’t know what was happening.
I dropped my food on the counter and ran outside because I thought something had fallen on my house. The last time the house shook is when my neighbor Carmine accidentally blew himself up with a propane tank for the grill (he’s ok – thank God). This was worse.
My neighbors also ran out of their house, shocked by what just happened. Together we surmised that it must have been an earthquake.
I called the non-emergency police line to report it but they sounded overwhelmed but had a sec to confirm that it was indeed and earth tremor.
Everyone is ok. No damage here – but to my ego. I’m nauseous and frankly a little freaked out inside the house.
I know my friends in California are probably laughing at me but when you’re not used to the earth-shaking under your feet, a general sense of malaise and utter shock is ever-present.
I learned a few things from this experience:
- I am a pussy. My ego is bruised.
- I am a terrible cat mommy – as I abandoned my babies in the house.
- I could never live in California! There goes my dream.
Did you feel it? Where were you and what were you doing?
© 2011 J. H-M and CultureChoc2010.
- Washington, D.C. Earthquake 2011: 5.8 Earthquake Hits Nation’s Capital, Felt In New York (huffingtonpost.com)
- Video: East Coast Earthquake Interrupts Dominique Strauss-Kahn Press Conference In NY (mediaite.com)
- Quake rocks Washington area, felt on East Coast (salon.com)
- New York City Earthquake: Virginia Tremor Felt In NYC (huffingtonpost.com)
- Quaking & Shaking at the Jersey Shore (culturechoc2010.wordpress.com)