With the recent passing of one of the greatest disco icons of my life…
I grew up with you and loved you.
Rest in peace.
… I began thinking about the countless fashions I’ve adored and endured in my life.
Since the 80’s were so fun and carefree, I decided to focus on that fabulous decade. Fabulous for fashion? Maybe not – but watch any raunchy 80’s movie and discover a whole world of fashion do’s and don’ts that I’d love to revisit.
My favorite 80’s trends:
- BIG Hair! I think we all know why I love the trend… I still have big hair! Stiff Stuff & Aquanet abounded. Now I use Helmet Head.
- Whorewear. You could dress like a slut and no one thought that you were a stripper!
- Parachute Pants. I loved my red parachute pants! I haven’t seen any since though.
- My “O Ring” Bracelets. Madonna rocked these and so did I!
- Flash Dance Shirts. I loved the whole off-the-shoulder sexiness.
- Zipper Jeans. Not jeans with zippers! Jeans with ONE zipper that zipped around the crotch and allowed the pants to split in two. We had no “stretch denim” back in the day. Skin tight and dangerous! AKA: Easy access pants – LOL!
- Chinese Shoes. They only came in black. It’s probably the last time I enjoyed wearing a flat shoe!
- High Top Wrestling Shoes. So comfortable!
- Work Pants. Bought at the Army/Navy Store in Bloomfield Center with pockets. A day later the pockets were sewn shut so they didn’t make you look fat. Loved them!
1980’s Trends I’m Torn About:
- Jellies. So cute but so brutal on the feet! The blisters were BAD!
- Neon. Whether a shirt, pants or chunky 80’s jewelry – I’m split about this one. Neon seems to be back at your local Joyce Leslie or Mandees.
- Perms. Everyone had them. I have a love/hate relationship with them. My dad has a picture of me in the living room with a perm. I was never a fan – but I did re-try the perm in 2007. Let’s just say I currently have no perm.
- Leg Warmers or Socks and High Heels. Let the picture speak for itself.
- Head Bands. Different than today’s head bands.
- Stretchy Pants. Leggings to the modern generation. I lived in these.
- The Glove. Whether you modeled Michael Jackson or Madonna, the glove was a huge trend.
Despised 80’s Fashion Trends:
- The Nylon Purse. Beige to boot. I hate beige. Check out Fast Times At Ridgemont High for a visual. Yuk!
- Crimped Hair. Another way to fry your hair. I still have a crimper – just in case!
- High Rise Bathing Suits. What was that all about?
- White Keds. Deemed “nurse shoes” by not-so-nice jerk offs from the 80’s.
- Army Pants. Harem Pants. Pleated Pants. So manly. So MC Hammer and able to carry shoplifted items in your crotch.
- Power Suits. That whole Working Girl thing was overrated. Wearing sneakers to work in the city SUCKED.
- Shoulder Pads or anything worn on Dynasty.
- Swatch Watches. Not my style.
So…. these are a few of my 80’s fashion do’s and don’ts.
I lived it. I loved it. I wore it. And sometimes I regretted it – but it was all good!
Fierce or Fail? BOTH. What do you think?
© 2012 J. H-M and CultureChoc2010.
- Jennifer Lopez Wears Harem Pants Fashion to ‘American Idol’ 2012 (celebs.gather.com)
- Look of the Day: Harem Pants (fabsugar.com)